Regulatory Affairs Manager
Job Description: Business Context and Main Purpose of the Job to deliver:
1. The company’s mission through a proactive approach that:
- Assures regulatory compliance protecting the Brands and our Consumers.
- Gives input to innovation projects regarding the national regulatory specific situation in Mashreq/Maghreb and supports country specific claims development and substantiation, Implements regulation changes impacting businesses and brands, Supports issues management and influencing activities such that the business has the freedom to operate.
- Actively advocates positions and concerns towards the local governmental bodies by direct representation or by adequate representation through the appropriate national sector associations on developing legislations and emerging issues such that the business has the desired freedom to operate.
2. Acts as 1st point of regulatory contact for the HPC and Foods R&D teams for the local MCOs and Brand Business partners within Mashreq/Maghreb.
- Provides the regulatory support for Mashreq/Maghreb countries and ensures ongoing regulatory compliance affecting products and provides regulatory risk analysis for compliance issues in partnership with R&D/TM, SC/QA, Legal and other related depts.
- Coordinates and assures that the appropriate regulatory documentation (dossier) to substantiate claims and product safety is available to ensure regulatory compliance at country level.
- Carry out periodic RA Compliance Audits on a number of marketed products, participating to a concerted Central Audit scheme.
Innovation and Non Innovation Led Growth (NILG):
- As a member of the MCO support team on Claims, consisting of Legal, RA, Nutrition, R&D, Regulatory Affairs provides RA input / guidance / positions as to arrive to ONE agreed creative advice on possible claims towards Brand Building and Communications.
- Regulatory Affairs provides early and pro-active country regulatory input into the co-generation claims process through networks or through the formal Projects RA Assessment Forms.
- Handles technical issues related to regulatory inquiries. Ensures that MCO regulatory requirements are considered when developing global products by feeding the requirements to the Regional RA.
- Provides regulatory and technical input for handling of consumer complaints issues.
Interpretation of Regulations:
- Works closely with Country Legal and Regional RA to provide an understanding of impact of existing and anticipated regulations and emerging issues to drive innovation.
- Provides the business partners with understanding of the impact of existing and anticipated legislation, and by raising the knowledge level on regulatory matters in the R&D community through tailored training to achieve functional excellence.
- Works collaboratively with RDC/TM colleagues and Go to Market business partners to implement new and changes to existing regulations to assure on-going compliance.
- Provides regulatory oversight to Country practices in alignment with local regulations and Brand Strategy.
Representation and Advocacy
- Execute EA/RA briefs to advocate Positions towards the local governmental bodies, industry associations and/or other organizations by direct representation, when specific Business interests are to be promoted or defended.
- Continuous promotion of its Positions and represents interests by adequate representation (directly with authorities and through sector associations) on developing/negotiating legislation and emerging issues such that the business has the desired freedom to operate.
Works closely with Regional RA to provide input and feedback to the Regional Issues Management Team to incorporate the MCO requirements into the development of strategic regulatory influencing activities, and implements as per agreed plans. Represents regulatory on Local Issues Management teams on relevant sub teams.
- Prioritization between the 3 main RA missions: Compliance, Innovation support, Advocacy.
- Prioritization across the project portfolio to achieve agreed project timelines.
- Developing and maintaining good relationships with the Regional and Category RA networks,
Category R&D Deploy Managers, Nutrition, Brand Building,SC and other functions to ensure the
“seamless” building of regulatory compliance in our project and product portfolio.
- Ensuring the quality of regulatory documentation in an environment of continuous change and
several countries in Mashreq/Maghreb.
- Working closely with Regional RA to ensure that Regulatory Strategies do find their way to country
level. Building an environment and culture which support the mission and enables people
- Continually building understanding of and insights into regulatory compliance at local level.
- Developing and maintaining “leading edge” expertise in regulatory compliance at local level.
Critical success Factors for the Job
Regulatory Affairs Excellence: Regulatory Understanding & Insights: Translating regulations and legislative activity into business solutions that result in increased brand value.
Regulatory Management: Developing clear regulatory strategies and managing regulatory programs aligned to brand footprint, category strategy and policies.
Issues Management: Working closely with business partners to anticipate regulatory and PR issues and develop strategies and action plans to protect the integrity of it and its brands.
Business Excellence: Planning & Monitoring: Leading the development and execution of regulatory strategies of a strategically aligned portfolio. Using effectively multiple sources of data, forecasting, contingency planning, and calculated risk taking.
Business Relationships: Managing complex stakeholder relationships and ability to integrate diverse business interests. Anticipating objections to regulatory proposals / perspectives, and preparing in advance to effectively influence others towards the achievement of business results.
Negotiation & Influence: Presenting and agreeing common view on regulatory requirements and issues to key business stakeholders. Well developed influencing and persuasiveness skills to allow the freedom to operate in its chosen market while maintaining excellent reputation with government agencies, industry associations, scientific organizations, and the public at large.
- Bachelor degree in Chemistry, Chemical Eng or Food Eng or related discipline required.
- Relevant experience within a FMCG environment with expertise in related legislations (HPC/Foods).
- Proven track record in active collaboration with R&D and non-R&D functions as well as 3rd parties in support of the innovation programmer.
- Proven record in interacting with, and influencing Country regulatory authorities.
- Pro-active self-direction with a high level of initiative and persistence and a very much hands on approach to results delivery.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (in Arabic and English).
- Ability to assess regulatory risks and opportunities and the impact it has on the existing and innovation portfolio.
- Ability to apply argumentation in order to influence at all levels externally and internally.
- Clear and logical thinker with the ability to recognize patterns and develop innovative solutions